Bilateral Relations: Historical Overview
Nepal Israel Relations
(1) Diplomatic relations between Nepal and Israel were established on 1 June 1960.
(2) Former Prime Minister, the late Mr. B. P. Koirala paid an official visit to Israel in the same year.
(3) Israel opened its Embassy in March 1961.
(4) The late Majesty King Mahendra paid a State Visit to Israel in September 1963.
(5) The late President of Israel, Mr. Zalman Shazar, paid a State Visit to Nepal in March 1966.
(6) In 1968, His Majesty King Birendra, then Crown Prince, paid a two-week study visit of Israel.
(7) The late General Moshe Dayan, in his capacity as Minister of Foreign Affairs of Israel, paid an official visit to Nepal in 1979 at the invitation of His Majesty’s Government of Nepal.
(8) The former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Daman Nath Dhungana, paid an official visit to Israel in January 1992 at the invitation of the Speaker of the Knesset.
(9) The former Prime Minister, Mr. G. P. Koirala, paid an official visit to Israel from 22 to 25 June 1993 at the invitation of the late, Mr. Yitzhak Rabin, then Prime Minister of Israel.
(10) Signing of Protocol of Cooperation between the Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry and the Federation of Israeli Chambers of Commerce in Tel-Aviv, Israel, on 25 June 1993 during the official visit to Israel of Mr. Girija Prasad Koirala, former Prime Minister of Nepal.
(11) The Honourable Mr. Ram Chandra Poudel, former Deputy Prime, as then Minister of Agriculture and Local Development, paid an official visit to Israel from 17 to 21 November 1993 at the invitation of the Government of Israel.
(12) Honorary Royal Nepalese Consulate General was opened in Israel in November 1993.
(13) A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between His Majesty Government of Nepal and the Government of the State of Israel relating to the scholarships program was signed in Kathmandu on 16 February 1995, by the Joint Secretary, Ministry of Finance, HMG of Nepal, and the Ambassador of Israel of the State of Israel.
(14) The Honourable Mr. Hasta Babahdur Malla, then Assistant Minister of Education participated in the Jerusalem International Conference of Ministers of Education from 8-11 January 1996.
(15) The Honourable Mr. Jhala Nath Khanal, then Minister of Communications, paid an official visit to Israel from 16-22 September 1997, at the invitation of the then Minister of Communications of Israel, Mrs. Limor Livnat.
(16) The Honourable Mr. Chakra Prasad Bastola, former Minister of Foreign Affirs, as then Minister of Agriculture payed an official visit to Israel from 5-8 September 1999 at the Invitation of the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development of the State of Israel. He attended the opening ceremony of the 14th International Agricultural Exhibition “Agritech ’99” on 6 September 1999. The Minister was accompanied by Mr. Ram Milan Upadhyay, former Executive Director of National Dairy Development Board, and Mr. Suresh Kumar Verma, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture.
(17) The Secretary of the Ministry of Education and Sports, Mr. Lava Prasad Devacota, attended a “Workshop for Secretariat of the Ministries of Education in Developing Countries” being held jointly by MASHAV (Center for International Cooperation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Jerusalem) and the Ministry of Education of Israel) from 4-11 November 2001.
(18) A six-member Nepalese Parliamentary Delegation comprising members of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs Committee, including the Secretary of the Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, and headed by the Honourable Mr. Gehendra Giri, MP, paid a visit to Israel from 18-21 November 2001 at the friendly invitation of the Knesset (Israel’s Parliament).
(19) A four-member delegation of the Knesset (Israel’s Parliament) headed by the Deputy Speaker MK Nawaf Mazalha, paid a friendly visit to Nepal from 2-4 December 2001, at the invitation of the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
(20) The Honourable Minister of Information and Communication Mr. Jaya Prakash Prasad Gupta paid an official visit to Israel from 20-22 March 2002. The Minister was accompanied by Mr. Bhoop Raj Pandey, Chairman of Nepal Telecommunication Authority and Mr. Raghubar Lal Shrestha, General Manager of Nepal Telecommunication.
(21) The Honourable Minister of State for Science and Technology Mr. Bhakta Bahadur Balayar paid an official visit to Israel from 7-11 April 2002. He was accompanied by Mr. Mahesh Man Shrestha, Secretary of the Ministry of Science and Technology.
(22) A Team of Caucus of Woman Parliamentarians of Nepal headed by Deputy Speaker Chitra Lekha Yadav paid an official visit to Israel at the Invitation of the Deputy Speaker of Knesset Ms. Eti Livni from 29 June to 2 July 2003.
(23) A three members delegation from the Golda Meir Mount Carmel International Training Centre (MCTC) headed by Ms. Mazal Renford, director of the center visited Nepal from 31 October – 5 November 2004 to attend the Silver Jubilee Function of the Seto Gurans National Child Development Services. Seto Gurans and MCTC have a long professional ties in promoting early childhood education in Nepal.
(24) A seven members delegation comprising of senior officials of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and Agricultural Development Bank headed by Mr. Ram Chandra Maharjan, General Manager of the Bank visited Israel from 9-17 November 2004 at the invitation of the Centre for International Cooperation (MASHAV) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Israel to attend a tailor made workshop, arranged for them.
(25) The Honourable Mrs. Sahana Pradhan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Nepal, paid an official visit to Israel from 11-12 July 2007 at the invitation of the Government of Israel. Minister Pradhan was also accompanied by Mr. Hira Bahadur Thapa, Joint Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Nepal. (Joint Press Release issued during the visit in Israel)